Translate

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

$1.2 million per legislator

An internal audit has revealed the cost of operating the Pennsylvania Legislature came to $308 million for the fiscal year that ended in June 2007.

I don't know about you, but I don't think Pennsylvania taxpayers are getting their money's worth.

If you divide $308 million by the 253 members of the Legislature, you come up with a figure of $1.2 million per legislator. Is that best way to spend tax dollars?

As I suggested in January 2007, it might be time to "Disband the Pennsylvania Legislature."

It's a luxury few Pennsylvania taxpayers can afford. Do we really need 253 lawmakers? Do we need to spend $308 million a year on the Legislature?

I also offered to give up my state House member (Dante Santoni Jr.) and my state Senator (Michael A. O'Pake) in March 2007 if it meant a corresponding tax reduction. Read "Take my Legislator, please."

What about you? Are you willing to live without your legislators if it means cutting $308 million in spending from Pennsylvania's already bloated budget?

No comments: