Translate

Monday, June 15, 2009

So much for party unity in Montco

I predicted a schism in the Montgomery County Republican Party over the 24th District state Senate race in a June 8 column you can read here.

Below is a copy of a letter state Rep. Bob Mensch sent over the weekend to Montgomery County GOP Chairman Bob Kerns regarding the soon-to-be vacated 24th state Senate seat held by Rob Wonderling.

It appears Rep. Mensch, who was the first to announce he is running for the Senate seat, initially had the support of Kerns until Montgomery County Commissioner Bruce L. Castor Jr. also expressed interest in the seat.

From the tone of the note, it appears Kerns is favoring Castor over Mensch. Castor has not announced his candidacy yet, but is expected to enter the race. A third Republican, former state Rep. Jay Moyer, is also planning to run, but nobody is paying much attention to Moyer.

Here is Mensch's June 14 letter to Kerns:
Bob,

I was honored and flattered when you called me on June 1st to ask me to run for the 24th Senatorial District as your, County Chairman's, candidate. However, since then I've been disappointed that you have decided instead to campaign full time for Bruce Castor, so I guess your commitment to me on June 1st wasn't really worth very much.

I'm not going to recount all the incidents and occurrences in the past two weeks, but there is one large issue which screams foul, and that is the total lack of integrity to send me a copy of the poll that you insist on running to favor Castor. On several occasions, and notably, in front of others on June 5th at Republican State Committee you promised me a copy, but I've not yet received one. I understand that the other County Chairmen (Bucks, Lehigh and Northampton) have received theirs as well as Jay Moyer. I've emailed you several times asking for a copy, but to no avail. Then, earlier this evening I received a voice mail from someone by the name Ken Gates, with the message that I need to respond by tomorrow morning with any comments or changes on the poll. Funny thing though, he called from a private number and didn't leave an email or a phone number for me to respond. He said he sent a copy to me via email, but I have not received one in either of my emails, and he will be unable to present a verifiable receipt that he did. At this point, this just seems to be one more purposeful deceit in this process.

I have no doubt, despite your first commitment to me, you will continue to try to create every advantage for Castor in this polling process. Regardless, I will continue to pursue the nomination, even though I fully realize you are stacking the deck for Castor in Montgomery County. You know if Bruce is so serious about public service in the State legislature, why don't you first encourage him to run for the House seat in the 70th, which was lost by the Republicans in the last election.

You have my cell and you have my email. I expect to hear from you before this poll "goes to press". My previous two emails to you have not been responded to, but I expect that you will respond to this message.

Sincerely

Bob Mensch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

County Decisions Should not be soley based on What Bruce Castor wants. What needs to be done is what is best for the county. Bruce Castor needs to stay at the Court House and keep an eye on things. It should be between Bob Mensch and Jay Moyer. Further Chairman Kerns should choose his Advisory Board made of Committee people not just people who will support his desires. Party decisions need to flow from the Bottom up
GOPGIRL