Translate

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

'I'm proud I'm not a Democrat'

A terrific letter to the editor published in The Mercury about the Obama campaign and the recent comments by the candidate's wife:
'I'm proud I'm not a Democrat'

The moment when Michelle Obama confidently declared that, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country," I realized that for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud I'm not a Democrat. Wait, I've always been proud not to be a Democrat!

Michelle Obama's new heartfelt "pride" in her country, though short-lived, has become an unadulterated rhetorical nightmare for the campaign of her husband, Barack Hussein Obama, the Democratic front runner for the 2008 presidential election.

Since crossing her lips those words have been subject to tremendous scrutiny from both Republicans and Democrats alike and have been clarified as to their meaning in more ways than one.

Michelle Obama is a Princeton and Harvard law graduate more than capable of knowing what she meant and wanted to say.

Also on staff at the University of Chicago, the Chicago Sun-Times said of her in 2007, "Michelle was a firebrand, expressing a determined passion for her husband's campaign, talking straight from the heart with eloquence and intelligence." Sounds to me like she knew exactly what she was saying and meant every word of it.

Her streaming of conscience offered Milwaukee onlookers a rare glimpse at the contemporary liberal psyche and that of the Obama campaign's feelings about our nation.

The message of the Obama campaign thus far has been a one word slogan, "Change." Is this the kind of change Americans have been longing for? One thing is for certain: Michelle might be proud of America for the first time in her adult life, but she'll have the rest of her adult life to clarify what exactly that means.

My feelings are that I'm fervently proud and privileged everyday to be a part of this great nation. I think the majority of Americans are of similar persuasion. If the Obama campaign intends to capture the votes of the flag saluting Americans who proudly speak the Pledge of Allegiance.

I suggest Barrack start partaking in both the Pledge and National Anthem instead of abstaining. If Barack and Michelle Obama intend to run this great country, they best consider a "change" of their own.

RICHARD R. TENNESEN
Pottstown

No comments: