Translate

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cypriot restaurant in Philly earns rave reviews

A Philadelphia eatery serving authentic Cypriot dishes earned rave reviews from Craig LaBan, the restaurant critic for The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Kanella, located at 1001 Spruce St., is owned by Konstantinos Pitsillides and his wife, Caroline. Konstantinos hails from my homeland, Cyprus, but I don't think we're related.

From LeBan's review:
Cyprus' loss is our gain. Because Philadelphians have been given a second chance to appreciate that unique "nature" at Kanella, his nearly year-old BYOB at 10th and Spruce. And after several memorable meals there, marked by soulful stews, whole dorados grilled in grape leaves, and flavors resonant of the sun-baked history of his island, I appreciate that nature more than ever.

We have precious few chefs so devoted to celebrating rustic ethnic cooking with the blend of passion, attention to detail, and culinary skill that Pitsillides has. And he delivers his unique country cooking with the personality and uncompromising conviction of a great folk singer.
Read the full review at the newspaper's Web site.

Check out the menu at the restaurant's Web site.

1 comment:

TheBitterAmerican said...

I ate there. The avgolemono was the best I've had since I was in Montreal in '96! The rabbit stew was good, too, considering I've never had it before. I'm spoiled, now!