Since 1974 when Turkey invaded the island-nation of Cyprus, Turkey has kept 35,000-45,000 occupation troops on Cyprus, preventing 200,000 Greek-Cypriots from returning to their homes. The island has been divided between Turkish and Greek sectors for the past 33 years. Turkey has ignored more than 60 United Nations resolutions demanding the withdrawal of occupation forces from Cyprus.
The real tragedy of the invasion and occupation of Cyprus is the U.S. role in the event. Turkey is the recipient of billions of dollars of U.S. economic and military aid.
It's time for Congress to cut off all U.S. funds to Turkey until it complies with international law and leaves Cyprus.
The Hellenic Caucus co-chairs, Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) and Rep. Gus Bilirakis (R-FL), have asked their colleagues in the House to give "five" minute speeches during this week (July 17-19) to "…remember the 33rd Anniversary of Turkey's illegal invasion and occupation of Cyprus…"
The American Hellenic Institute urges everyone to contact your Congressman to have him/her reserve time for a five minute speech this week. The illegal Turkish invasion took place on July 20, 1974, and the continuing 43,000 illegal Turkish occupation has now reached 33 years!
To reserve time, the Representative must contact either the Democratic or Republican cloakroom.
The Representative may speak for five minutes on the floor or submit his comments for the record.
Please ask the Representatives offices to, contact Jennifer Keaton with Representative Maloney at 202-225-7944 or Elizabeth Hittos with Representative Bilirakis at 202-225-5755 for any questions that your Representative may have.
ACTION REQUESTED -- CALL, FAX, or E-MAIL:
- To either give or submit a five minute speech on the occasion of the 33rd anniversary of the illegal Turkish invasion of Cyprus that happened on July 20, 1974.
How to Contact Your Representative:
To Contact your U.S. Representative by mail:
U.S. House of Representatives:
1. Write to:
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515
To Contact your U.S. Representative by phone:
1. Dial 202-224-3121 (general number) and ask the operator to connect to your
To Contact your U.S. Representative by fax:
1. Visit http://www.house.gov/Welcome.html
2. Enter your zip code
3. Click on the link to your representative’s web site
4. Locate the "Contact" or "Constituent Services" button on your representative's Web site to find the fax number for your representative’s office.
To Contact your U.S. Representative Via E-mail:
1. Visit www.house.gov/writerep
2. Enter your state and zip code
3. Fill out the electronic form of your name and address
4. Write and submit your message
To learn more about the illegal occupation of Cyprus, go to http://www.lobbyforcyprus.org/