Translate

Monday, October 19, 2009

I'm Back

Did anybody notice I haven't posted anything for three days?

It happens every October when I volunteer at my church's annual food festival. I spend about 10 hours each day at the church so I don't have time to post during the event and I'm so exhausted after I get home I don't even have the strength to sit at a computer.

The 2009 Greek Food Bazaar at Sts. Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox Church is in the record books. We're not talking about a spaghetti supper or a pancake breakfast or a sandwich sale here. We're talking about the biggest food festival in Berks County. It runs for 22 hours and some of the volunteers spend more than 30 hours at the church over the three-day event. We served more than 3,500 meals over the weekend, with all the food made from scratch by parishioners.

I worked in the kitchen making gyro and souvlaki sandwiches. We lost count of the number of sandwiches we made after about 2,500, but the heat, the poor ventilation and the crowded kitchen really take a toll on you ... especially after Day 3.

The weather was lousy Friday and Saturday, but it cleared up by Sunday. Final numbers will take weeks to tally, but I doubt that we'll top last year's record income. All proceeds go to support the church and its ministries. I'm exhausted, but it's a good kind of tired.

Now back to blogging.

No comments: