Translate

Monday, November 16, 2009

Holiday cards for troops

This letter to the editor originally published in The Pottstown Mercury discusses a terrific program that has sent more than 20,000 holiday cards to U.S. troops. If you're in the Pottstown area, join the effort.
Holiday cards for troops

Well, it's that time of year again. We once again are doing our holiday card drive for our troops. In the lobby of Pottstown Borough Hall, you will find a box and cards for residents to sign.

To date, we have sent over 20,000 cards to our troops with the help of our state Rep. Tom Quigley and Mary Ann Dailey. We are asking schools, clubs, groups, churches and residents to join us in letting our troops know we are thinking about them.

As with anything, something bad always has to be said. This is done on our time and expense. Even though AFSCME members are involved in this, I take the cards down on my lunchtime and box them to be sent during my lunch. There were some questions in the past about taxpayer money being used in this. I can assure you there is nothing. Our residents come forward with the cards to be signed. I also need to say, this makes no statement of the war, just to support our troops.

The other item is not to forget the animal shelters during the winter months. I happen to volunteer with Stray Cat Blues. I know there is a cat problem in neighborhoods but, remember, somebody had to "dump" them off. I have taken in seven cats that people have moved and left behind. I am sure any of the shelters could use your help.

BILL SHARON
Pottstown
Holiday cards for troops - The Mercury Opinion: Pottstown, PA and The Tri County areas of Montgomery, Berks and Chester Counties (pottsmerc.com)

Posted using ShareThis

No comments: