Translate

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Tom Ridge rules out run for Specter Senate seat

From Gov. Tom Ridge's statement on his decision not to seek the Republican nomination for Senate in his home state of Pennsylvania:
"To those who believe that the Republican Party is facing challenges, they are right. To those who believe the Democratic Party is without its own difficulties, they are wrong. No one party has a monopoly on all of the answers. The more important view, in my mind, is that we remember, whether Republican or Democrat, we are foremost Americans. And as Americans, we have always overcome challenges when we put partisanship aside and solutions first.

"And so my desire and intention is to help my party craft solutions that both sides of the aisle can embrace. My hope is to raise the level of civility in public debate and raise the bar on outcomes that serve our citizens fully, fairly and equally. My belief is that those in my home state can best be served by the principles of limited government, less taxes, competent governance and shared responsibility. So I stand ready and excited to help my party and my country prevail as we continue to work to preserve and protect our strong, storied and much beloved nation."
That part about "limited government, less taxes, competent governance and shared responsibility" sure sounds like Ridge is endorsing Pat Toomey, doesn't it?

Statement by The Honorable Tom Ridge on His Decision Not To Seek the Senate Seat in Pennsylvania

No comments: