Translate

Thursday, April 03, 2008

This guy really wants to go to the GOP convention

I drive a 14-mile stretch of Route 422 from Berks County to Montgomery County every day. I must have spotted two dozen "Jim McHale for GOP National Convention" signs along the way.

Jim McHale really wants to go to the 2008 Republican National Convention.

I don't recall anyone putting this much effort (and expense) into being named a delegate to a political convention.

McHale wants to represent Pennsylvania's 6th Congressional District (parts of Berks, Chester and Montgomery counties) to the convention.

He is one of a seven names on the April 22 primary election ballot. One of the other candidates is U.S. Rep. Jim Gerlach, who is the Congressman from the 6th District.

McHale has set up a Web site to introduce himself to voters, http://www.jimmchale.org/

My favorite part of his Web site is his political philosophy:
"For this election there are only two things to consider: 1) You are voting for someone who wants to educate himself, and 2) I will vote as the Congressional District votes. But, you may want to know what I really stand for. Here it is, in a nutshell. I believe in limited government, capitalism and individual liberty."

2 comments:

Bill Shaw said...

Tony-

One from the small world category:

This guy, McHale graduated 2 years ahead of me from Frankford High School in Philadelphia (he was class of 79, I was class of '81)

I was acquainted with him through a mutual friend, so I not only knew of him, I knew him.

Almost 30 years have passed since I last saw him. I've been in contact with him via email and am looking forward to working with him in the 6th to help Gerlach with his re-election.

How's that for funny?

B.

Jim McHale said...

Tony: Thanks for noticing my signs. It’s good to hear people are noticing them. And it is strange for someone to actively run for the delegate position, but it is stranger still that people will vote for a delegate without knowing anything about them. After all, it is the delegate who votes for the voters.

I have to admit to being one of the people who didn’t quite get the whole delegate-voting-for-you thing in Pennsylvania. I would venture to guess the vast majority of people don’t understand the system, which is why it is prominently listed on my web site.

Hopefully, I can educate the voters a bit, while getting a great education for myself.

Regards.

Jim McHale