Translate

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Insane school spending

I like this Letter to the Editor published in The Pottstown Mercury about out-of-control school district spending. The letter-writer is critical of spending by the Owen J. Roberts School Board in Chester County, but you can substitute any school district in Pennsylvania.
Bring an end to the 'insanity' of school district spending

I am writing this letter to respond to the many inquiries from friends and acquaintances as to why I don't run for the Owen J. Roberts School Board. While I chastise the board, I am well aware of the amount of time required to perform their thankless, unpaid job and all the board members are to be commended for their unselfish commitment to the community. Being self employed with no "staff," I just don't have the hours to commit to such a time consuming obligation.

As far as the statement that I've never attended a school board meeting, that is incorrect, although it has been several years since I have been in attendance. My bride, a dedicated OJR employee for more than 25 years, asked me to not attend board meetings as long as she is an employee, and her wishes are paramount.

I have no problem accepting criticism, but please have the courage to put a name with your remarks. It's very easy to condemn when hiding behind a curtain of anonymity, something which I never do. With information provided to me by meeting regulars, I feel the need for me to attend is unnecessary.

Now some interesting facts. According to a Mercury article on Feb. 8, the average wage of a Pennsylvanian is $43,000 with only 73 state legislative staffers earning more than $100,000 annually. According to a Philadelphia magazine article in Sept. 2008, the average OJR teacher's salary is $71,784 plus benefits. I have a list of 47 OJR "administrators and coordinators" with a yearly salary total of $4,565,676.66 plus benefits. The average wage of this group is $97,142 per year with 22 of these "professionals" making over $100,000 and the top wage being $164,807.19 per year. This list includes no teachers, support staff or even any of our $60,000 per year secretaries, and this group will grow even larger if Superintendent Myra Forrest has her way. Is it any wonder people try to gain employment in school districts?

At the present time there are petitions being circulated to freeze the wages of this group of your employees. Please locate one, sign it and help bring an end to this insanity.

I'll continue to give you food for thought, asking that you'll take the time to digest it and return your comments to the Mercury and the OJR School Board in hope that someone will listen and help us taxpayers before we all become PhD (Poor, hungry, Destitute).

JIM FITCH
Bucktown

No comments: