Translate

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Obama disses Greek-American community

Another example of how dysfunctional the Obama White House is: The head of the largest Greek-American heritage organization is upset with the management of the Greek Independence Day celebration at the White House held March 25.

The following is from a letter written by Ike Gulas, president of the American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA) to the White House:

"Despite proactive outreach to the White House, and several attempts to offer AHEPA's resources to your Public Liaison Office, many integral people involved in our leadership, including the National Presidents of our junior auxiliaries, were left off of the invitation list for the March 25th festivities," wrote Gulas. "Therefore, I feel it is my duty to call to your attention this failure to recognize AHEPA's status in the Greek American community and to treat it accordingly."

Read he full statement at the link below:

Leader of Largest Greek American Association Displeased With Management of Greek Independence Day Event at White House

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I work on the Hill, but as a Greek American have seen these events for years.
Fact is Obama did what has been done by prior presidents. Some years under Carter, Reagean, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II the group ahs been very large with a fair number of AHEPA invites and some years it has been small with as few as one invite for AHEPA, ie its Supreme President only. So I think this is not a "dis".

I am a Republican so I am disinclined towards Obama, but one has to ask how much profile does AHEPA really have in Washington? I work in a congressinal office and 10 and 15 years ago I heard from AHEPA all the time. I haven't heard a thing from them in the past ten years, either as an individual or with their staff people coming to see my Rep.

Is AHEPA's low profile in Washington the fault of anyone but AHEPA?
K.P.