Translate

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

PA State Rep. Tom Quigley concedes 146th Dist. race to Democrat

One week after the polls closed, Republican Pennsylvania State Rep. Tom Quigley, who has represented the Pottstown/Limerick/Royersford areas of Montgomery County since 2005, has conceded in the 146th House District.

Quigley, a popular and highly-regarded state lawmaker, was upset by Democrat Mark Painter on Nov. 6. Since the margin was about 200 votes and absentee ballots were not counted, Quigley refused to concede the race.

But after absentee ballots were counted by Montgomery County officials on Friday, the gap remained about 200 votes. 

Quigley said he spoke to Painter earlier in the day in Harrisburg, where Painter was attending an orientation session for newly-elected legislators.

Quigley also issued the following statement:
In light of the completed count of all absentee ballots, it is clear that the people of the 146th District have spoken and they have elected Mark Painter as their next Representative. I saw Mark in Harrisburg today, shook hands, congratulated him and wished him well.

I would like to take this opportunity to say what a great privilege and pleasure it has been to represent the people of the 146th District. In the past eight years my staff and I have had the chance to meet and serve numerous people in our community. My district office staff; Karen, Joan and Veronika and my Harrisburg staff; Lauren, have provided outstanding service to the many people who have sought our help on numerous issues. I know I speak for them in saying that we will miss that daily interaction and the opportunity to truly make a difference in people's lives.

My district office will be closing at the end of November when my term officially ends. My staff will be contacting those with outstanding issues to direct them to the appropriate person.

Again, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the people of the 146th District for allowing me to serve as your representative.
Although he hasn't decided what he will do next, Quigley has not rule out a run for the state Legislature in 2014 to reclaim the 146th District seat.

No comments: